My Photo
Name:
Location: Akron, OH, United States

I consider myself a writer and a foodie, though both are debatable. I am a collared sub to my husband of seven years. We have two boys. They keep me busy and away from all the books I want to read. We are trying to balance our love of kink and getting enough sleep to function. I drink a lot of coffee.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Where have all the sitcoms gone?

While my own addiction intrigues me, I find the emerging and expanding world of reality television overwhelming.  When this movement began I was an early teen and Survivor and American Idol didn't interest angst and dramatic me.  But as I grew and entered college my amazing roommate introduced me to various shows.  One was Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which I'm sure will be discussed in a later post, but the other was the newest cycle of America's Next Top Model. This show opened to me a world of reality that encouraged people's talents and taught them how to improve.  In contrast to reality TV that was all about surviving longer than the person next to you, this show actually helps it's participants walk away with more knowledge than when they started.  With this new mindset I began searching for similar programs, quickly stumbling upon shows like The Biggest Loser, The Apprentice (though I will say the British version holds much more credibility in my view), and most recently Top Chef.  These shows foster the existing talent of their contestants by placing them in challenges and then following up with constructive criticism.  And unlike the aforementioned programs which use the other contestants or the watching audience, who are extremely biased,  these shows use impartial judges who consider the person's potential and ignore the outside drama.  Admittedly, The Biggest Loser is not completely within this outline, the contestants themselves have the most say in their fate.
 
I guess I just respect these shows for their unique reality.  Where showing the actual talent of modeling or cooking can help you improve and learn something at the same time.  I feel that the negative remarks of Simon Cowell or the metaphoric snuffing of a flame is neither constructive or entertaining.  If the fad of reality television is going to continue growing like I'm sure it will, I can easily see it moving away from these more cutthroat shows to programming that shows true talent. The 'find quick love' programs where roses are passed and real emotions are ignored for nude scenes in hot tubs just don't represent America.  Wouldn't you rather take pride in the people in our country who work on a skill.  I would like to think we have a lot of people who work hard to overcome their issues with their weight or who have studied the art of cooking and perfected it rather than focus on one woman in her mid-twenties who "needs" a man.  I just don't want some pathetic blonde who is chasing a man onto prime time television to feel complete representing American women.  I just hope that girls growing up in our country, or any country, don't see that as the norm.  While I feel that America's Next Top Model contestants aren't every girl, they are working for a dream and a goal, not just money.  Top Chef shows amazing skill while teaching a lot to even the masters.  Testing their limits while showing the audience some great food.  What show would you rather be exporting to other countries as a representation of American culture?  As a side note, the Bachelor hasn't gone anywhere whereas America's Next Top Model has been reproduced in over twenty different countries. Karma's a bitch.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home