My Photo
Name:
Location: Akron, OH, United States

I consider myself a writer and a foodie, though both are debatable. I am a collared sub to my husband of seven years. We have two boys. They keep me busy and away from all the books I want to read. We are trying to balance our love of kink and getting enough sleep to function. I drink a lot of coffee.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Who the Hell is Krisofer?

My job centers around background checks. I take an average of 40 calls an hour, checking a different person each time.  I always find it interesting the names that people call in with. There are rhyming names, people with the same first and last names, people with initials as their first name. It's just interesting to see that. I always thought my mother had a crazy german last name, I was wrong. Her name is at least somewhat discipherable. Some names I just listen and wonder. 

But last names are nothing. My real issue is what is up with these first names. As a person with a unique first name, I haven't always been appreciative of what my parents gave me. As a teen, I hated having a weird first name. But now, I enjoy not being the same as everyone else. And it seems that parents want that same uniqueness for their kids, but they don't want to sacrifice their traditional names. Their solution . . . to change the name slightly, so it just looks misspelled. Christopher with a k, Todd with an e on the end, Jennifer with two f's or one n; where do people get this stuff. Either put forth the effort to create a unique name or find something that means something to you, or just give them the normal name and suck it up. I'm not suggesting that people name their kids after plastic, or food, but their are interesting names out there if you look.  Read a romance novel, those have a million unique names.  I guess cities and states are passable (Georgia, Houston, Paris), but watch the food and color names if you want your kids to become more than a therapy case (Cookie, Magenta, Apple).  

I guess I just feel that unique names are important. I want to give my children unique names. But unique and changing the spelling of a traditional name aren't the same thing. So, all the people named Sorha (Sarah), Cile (Kyle), Rebica (Rebecca), and Andreu (Andrew) thank or smack your parents and consider what kind of life you're going to create for your own kids.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home