My Photo
Name:
Location: Akron, OH, United States

I consider myself a writer and a foodie, though both are debatable. I am a collared sub to my husband of seven years. We have two boys. They keep me busy and away from all the books I want to read. We are trying to balance our love of kink and getting enough sleep to function. I drink a lot of coffee.

Monday, August 11, 2008

The Burgh

Well, the work stage of our lives begins. Monday morning and we're up and ready to go to work for the week. It's strange to me how these stages in our life come about. Dave and I were standing in the check out line at Ikea last night, commenting on how Ikea is a real couples affair. And after my shock subsided that the people in front of us spend almost $600, I got to thinking. 

When we're kids, everything is provided for us, whether we're conscious of it or not. And then we hit a teeenage phase where we want things. Movies and clothes rule our lives as we try to survive high school. College is all about money for beer and pizza. Most students live on campus and enjoy a cafeteria and co-ed bathrooms. Then we become 'adults'. And it's not about beer (for some) and hitting the clubs every night. It's about rent and food and a job. 

Technically I'm still a student. I start grad school in two weeks with a completely different outlook than when I started my undergrad. I got excited when we bought a table yesterday to go next to our front door. We found a cutting board and I was over the moon. I'm not trying to say that I hate it, but it's just so interesting how my priorities have changed. In looking for jobs we both mentioned something about health benefits. That was a concept that until I was twenty I didn't even know existed. We've already started talking about a different apartment next year and what we want to look for. It's like I've become an uncool dad or something. 

So, as I head off to work and can't stop thinking about the laundry that needs done I can't help wondering if this is it. This is the point where I stop being fun and adventurous and instead turn into my parents. Not if I can help it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home